decided to investigate further on the strength and quality of the welding, I think the pictures speak for themselves ..........
I'll leave it there
easy enough to remove but a pain to separate finally got it all apart, that is bar the floor bracket that decided to break leaving the large bush on the shaft, so heated that bushing up and s little persuasion with a hammer and a ring spanner.
After a soak in a cleaning bath for a couple of days I set too to start the cleaning of all the parts
that'll do nicely all very smooth in operation and greased up ready for refitting, after of course some new parts ie retaining clips & spring for the brake pedal
i can't believe how time leaves you, and what a big gap since I last touched the beetle, it was one of the cold spells in early January followed by a nice dry and quite warm day when I went in the garage to check in on the Jeans, glad I did really the interior had started to go mouldy, so that was the kick up the backside I needed to get me motivated, oh and the fact my mate mentioned we should try and get down to Brighton in August in the bugs, so back to the present.......
with a brand new carb fitted by the previous owner, I started looking at points etc, with all that side looking ok but no spark I started to look at the electrics, chopping the old corroded terminals off and getting clean wire I fitted new terminals used fresh fuel from a can and hey presto 2nd fire it started 😎
on the back of a trailer we towed the beetle back to ours, as we bought it as a non runner off a friend, everything looked OK albeit with odd coloured wings and bonnet, and as soon as we got it home I started the initial stripdown.
oh dear it's not quite Carling.........